Many parties may be aware of an extended power failure at a condominium complex located at Victoria Park and St. Clair which is managed by Malvern Condominium Property Management.  Further to media reports in this regard, we wish to provide a public statement regarding this ongoing matter.

Following the major ice and rain storm that occurred over the weekend of April 14 & 15, 2018, the subsequent thaw and water run off penetrated the underground hydro vault and caused damage to the main transformer and electrical switch for the complex.

As a result, power was required to be shut off Monday evening (April 16, 2018) as the equipment was deemed unsafe for operation by the Electrical Safety Authority.

Our team continues to work diligently to restore the loss of power. Restoration of power has been delayed while the damaged equipment dries as it cannot be safely operated while wet.  Drying fans continue to be in place to speed up the drying process.

We extend our sympathy to all those affected by this power failure, as well as to all individuals in the City of Toronto affected by power outages and property damage caused by this severe Spring storm.

Residents have been kept up to date by notices posted on their community website and by site visits by our team.  We endeavour to restore power as quickly as possible, while still ensuring safe operation of the electrical equipment.


UPDATE: 4/19/2018 11:20 a.m.

We have been advised that it will be possible to replace the damaged transformer today and it is expected that full power will be restored to the complex today; likely in the early evening hours.  A further update will be posted once power has been restored.

UPDATE: 4/19/2018 9:20 p.m.

We are pleased to be able to report that full power has been restored to this condominium community.  We thank all Residents for their patience during the extended loss of power.  We recognize that same provides a great inconvenience to those impacted.  We also wish to extend our thank you to the Corporation’s electrical contractor and the Electrical Safety Authority for their diligent work during this emergency.